Frequently Asked Questions

Taxpayer Portal

Q: What functions are available?

A: You can schedule one or more e-check payments for the current date or any future dates. You can sign up for electronic billing and email notifications. Real estate information is now available on-line (you may have to contact us to set this up if you register and do not see your real estate account). For dog owners, the new tax portal allow you to renew and pay for dog licenses online for single tags only. For business owners, you are able to submit required filings and pay taxes online, including business license, business tangible property, meals tax, admissions tax, and transient occupancy tax. For all businesses and taxpayers, you can see copies of any bill or form sent to you.

Q: My account number is not being recognized to link my accounts. How can this be resolved?

A: Account numbers from the former system will not assist you in accessing data in the new system. If you need your new account number please call the Treasurer’s Office at 804-469-4500 opt 5. Your new number is also available on any correspondence you have received from this office after January 1, 2023.

Q: I do not know my account number, is there another way to link my accounts?

A: If you own or owned a vehicle that was registered in Dinwiddie County during the last two years, you can use the vehicle title number to create the link to your accounts. The vehicle title can be found on your vehicle registration or title document.

Creating an Account

Q: I’m not receiving the confirmation email.

A: Email from the application could mistakenly be blocked by your service provider. Actions you can take to resolve this problem: 1. Add to your contacts list. Confirmation emails from will have a From header with the following email addresses: You might consider adding this email address to your contacts list (address book) and/or asking your email provider to unblock or whitelist the email addresses. 2. Check your SPAM folder. Email from can get caught in SPAM filters. Check the SPAM folder in your email inbox to see if the confirmation email is there.

Q: How can I have the system resend the confirmation email?

A: To resend a confirmation try to log in to the system. You should immediately see a message telling you that a confirmation message has been sent and the email address that it was sent to. The confirmation email will originate from the

Q: I am at the screen that says “Confirm Email Address,” what do I do now?

A: Go to your email inbox and click on the link at the end of the message (where is says “Please confirm your account by clicking here”). When you do this, a new window or session will open with the message “Thank you for confirming your email. Click here to continue.”

Access to Other Accounts

Q: Some accounts are not linked to my portal account, how can I get access to these accounts?

A: When you create a portal account and go through the link account process, the system automatically identifies ownership of the tax record by the Social Security Number (SSN) or Driver License Number (DL#) listed on the tax record. If you do not see a tax account on the portal, it is most likely because your SSN or DL# isn’t associated with the tax account. If you are the owner of record and you want to access to a tax account, you can request access by selecting “Services” from the Portal dropdown menu. To access the tax records for someone else in your household, a tax record where your name is not listed as an owner, the owner will need to give you access to the records. This is done by creating a portal account and selecting “Settings,” “Manage Access,” which is in the menu bar near the top of the screen. Once access has been granted, their tax account will show up when you log-in to the Portal.

Q: I know there is an account with my name that I should see. How do I request access?

A: Use the “Services” dropdown to request access to an account that you are sure should be linked to you because your name is or should be on the account. Please note that access to tax records is only given to the registered owners. If you need access to view or pay for someone else’s tax records you should contact the property owner and ask them to give you access to their online account. For more information see FAQ Manage Access.

Q: How do I allow someone else access to view my tax records?

A: Property owners have control over who can access their tax records online. To share access, both the owner and the other party need an online account. Working from the property owner’s portal account, click “Settings” (located near the top) and select “Manage Access.” When prompted, enter the email address of the online user who is to be given access. Follow the same steps to remove someone from having access.

Finding the Amount of Property Taxes Paid

Q: I’m getting ready to file my income taxes, how do I find the amount of taxes I paid?

A: To find the amount of taxes paid, make sure you are on the Summary of Accounts page (click on “My Accounts: in the menu bar to return to this page). Select the “Services” drop down box and then select “View Payment History.” This will show you the payment history by year by tax type for each of your linked accounts. To find the amount billed by year, select “View Tax History.”

Q: My linked accounts do not include my real estate account. How do I get information for my real estate?

A: If your real estate account does not show on the My Accounts screen, it is because real estate account types generally do not automatically link when registering. However, we can assist you in linking your real estate account. Please contact us at 804-469-4500 opt 4 and we will be happy to set this up for you. If you would rather receive this information by email, send a request (include your name and address) to and we will send you a printout of taxes billed and paid.

Manage Access - Grant and Revoke Account Access

Q: What is Grant Access?

A: Grant Access is an online feature for combining accounts and the sharing of tax record. Examples: A family can consolidate all of their individual member’s tax records under a single online account. A business can give their accountant access to their online account to manage the tax payments.

Q: How can I give someone else access to my tax records?

A: Use the Grant Access feature. To give someone else access to your online tax records, first create an online account for yourself, link your tax records to your online account, and then Grant Access to the other party using “Settings.” “Manage Access” (settings is located near the top of the screen). The other party must also have an online account and have activated their online account by acknowledging the link in the confirmation email and have logged in to the account at least once. When access is granted, an email is sent to the grantee informing them that they have been given access and they can view the tax records when they next log in. The property owner can also revoke access by following the same process.

Electronic Billing

Q: How does electronic billing work?

A: When you view one of your accounts, you can now elect to receive future tax bills automatically. Use the manage notifications functions to set this up. Once enabled, you will get an email when a new bill or updated bill is available. The email has a link to access the bill directly. From the portal, you can schedule a payment, or print the bill and mail along with your payment. The bill remains available online (rendered in the same version as if you had gotten a printed bill) so you can access the bill at any time. If you fail to access a new tax bill online at least 30 days before the due date, a bill will be sent by regular mail.

Q: If I enroll in electronic billing, can I change my mind and opt out?

A: Yes, just access the notifications function on the account and uncheck the electronic billing option.

Personal Property

Q: How will I know if my vehicle qualifies for high mileage adjustment?

A: Please go to the Commissioner of the Revenue forms page at for the high mileage information, or you can call the Commissioner of the revenue for additional information at 804-469-4500 opt 4.

Q: What personal property tax is prorated?

A: Taxes on all personal use motor vehicles--automobiles, boats, trucks, motorcycles, campers, motorized recreation vehicles, and trailers (not mobile homes)--are prorated.

Q: What personal property tax is not prorated?

A: Airplanes, mobile homes and business personal property are not prorated.

Q: How does the proration of personal property tax work?

A: Proration is based on two essential elements: 1. The property's value 2. The number of months in a calendar year such property is located in Dinwiddie County. A vehicle has situs for taxation in the county if it is garaged, parked, or stored in the county, or if it is registered to a county address with the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. If the vehicle has situs for taxation in the county for a period of less than a full year, your tax liability would (under most circumstances) be reduced. The county determines the tax by first multiplying the vehicle's assessed value by the portion of the year the vehicle has situs in the county. Proration is done using full month increments, and a taxpayer is liable for a full month's tax if the vehicle has situs in the county for more than half the month. The county then multiplies this prorated amount by the tax rate to determine the tax.

Q: If I moved taxable personal property out of Dinwiddie County or sell it during the tax year, am I eligible for a refund of personal property taxes already paid?

A: If you sell, or relocate your motor vehicle from Dinwiddie County to another prorating locality, the Dinwiddie County tax may be prorated upon notification to the Commissioner of the Revenue. You may then be eligible for a refund of any taxes paid for that portion of the remaining year if proof of registration in another prorating locality is provided. However, if you move the property to a non-prorating locality in Virginia, the full year's tax is payable to Dinwiddie County. No refund will be issued, since your liability to the non-prorating locality begins January 1 of the next year. Additionally, if you move your vehicle to a state other than Virginia, Virginia State Code Section 58.1-3511 specifies that “the situs for vehicles with a weight of 10,000 pounds or less registered in Virginia but normally garaged, docked or parked in another state shall be the locality in Virginia where registered.” Your vehicle account will be prorated as of the date your vehicle is registered in another state or when it is no longer actively registered in Virginia.

Q: What to do if you dispose of a vehicle.

A: Notify both the DMV at (804) 497-7100 and the Commissioner of the Revenue Office at (804) 469-4500 option 4 immediately if possible or within 30 days.

Q: What to do if you purchase a new or used vehicle.

A: Motor Vehicles normally garaged in the County of Dinwiddie are required to be registered using a current registration card from DMV with the Commissioner of the Revenue for Personal Property Tax purposes.

Q: What to do if you move in or out of the County of Dinwiddie for Personal Property.

A: Notify the DMV at (804) 497-7100 and the Commissioner of the Revenue Office at (804) 469-4500, option 4 of your new address immediately if possible or within 30 days.

Q: Which vehicles are subject to the Vehicle Personal Property Tax?

A: All vehicles located in Dinwiddie County are subject to personal property tax, including vehicles that are not registered in Virginia, vehicles that do not run, and vehicles that are temporarily absent from Dinwiddie County. A vehicle is temporarily absent if it has not been legally registered in another jurisdiction.

Q: Is it possible for the assessed value of my vehicle to be higher this year than it was last year?

A: Yes. Virginia State Code requires that all Virginia localities value tangible personal property as of a fixed date. This date, often referred to as “tax day," is January 1, regardless of when a vehicle may have been purchased or located in Dinwiddie County. Dinwiddie County uses publications from The National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) as the primary valuation guides for personal property assessment purposes, as do all 134 cities and counties in Virginia. In arriving at the used vehicle values published in its valuation guides, NADA collects and analyzes over half a million auto-related transactions per month, including both wholesale and retail sales. NADA collects its data from a number of sources, including automobile manufacturers, new and used vehicle dealers and over 165 automobile auctions nationwide. Additionally, NADA considers economic trends, geographic location, weather and environmental factors in the analysis of its automobile valuation data. Due to various market factors, values for some vehicles may be higher as of January 1 of the current year than they were on January 1 of the previous year. This rise in vehicle value may be due to increased demand or diminished supply for a particular vehicle model or vehicle type, gas price fluctuations or other factors affecting vehicle sales, such as government or manufacturer incentives.

Q: Does a new car manufacturer’s rebate reduce the original cost basis of a new vehicle for purposes of personal property tax assessment?

A: No. The local tax on tangible personal property is not a sales tax but a tax on the actual fair market value of property. If the preferred means of establishing the actual fair market value of a vehicle cannot be used (i.e., the clean loan value of the model and year of the individual vehicle are not listed in the recognized pricing guide), the taxpayer may present the Commissioner of the Revenue proof of original cost which may be used as an alternative basis of assessment. Such proof may consist of the new vehicle sales contract or purchase order which clearly shows the total purchase price upon which the motor vehicle sales and use tax was calculated. Although the balance due on delivery may be reduced by credits for trade-ins, unpaid liens or encumbrances, manufacturers' rebates or dealer discounts, the total purchase price or original cost for purposes of the motor vehicle sales and use tax and personal property tax is not reduced by such amounts.

Q: If I disagree with the county's assessment of my property, how can the value be changed?

A: The county assesses personal property on the assumption that it is in fair condition for its age. The vehicle owner can request a review of the assessment if a vehicle is not in average condition as of January 1 of the tax year because of high mileage, extensive un-repaired body damage or serious mechanical defects. This does not include normal wear and tear on tires, seals, battery, gaskets, pumps, hoses, belts, brake system, cooling system, electrical and ignition system, fuel system, exhaust system and front-end parts. Appealing your assessment does not guarantee that it will be reduced. If your appeal is for high mileage, please submit a copy of the latest safety inspection slip, vehicle repair or similar documentation which shows the mileage. You may submit your January 1 mileage online by February 15 each year if you wish to have high mileage considered in the annual assessment process. For extensive un-repaired body damage or serious mechanical defects, please submit an itemized estimate from an automobile repair facility on business letterhead detailing the extent of damage and the cost to repair the vehicle. Other acceptable documentation would be a copy of an insurance company estimate describing the condition and cost to repair the damage. It must be clear from the documents provided that the condition existed on January 1 of the tax year. All appeals must be received by December 31 of the tax year being appealed. Appeals are reviewed in the order received. Please allow up to 60 days for processing. The tax bill is still required to be paid by the respective due date. If the assessment is later reduced as a result of the appeal, the county will issue a tax refund. The Commissioner recommends that, to avoid a late payment penalty, you pay your bill in full, have the assessment corrected, then receive a refund based on the corrected assessment.

Q: How are antique motor vehicles assessed?

A: Dinwiddie’s local ordinance exempts from local taxation as household goods, personal effects, and antique motor vehicles, as defined in Section 46.2-100 of the Code of Virginia as amended, which are not used for general transportation purposes.

Q: How are mobile homes assessed?

A: Mobile homes used as residences are assessed at the fair market value and taxed at the real estate rate.

Q: How do I find the detail for a tax bill?

A: If you have a balance due, you can create a statement. To do this, select “Get Current Statement: under “Services.” This is done at the account level. If you want to see the detail for a tax year, click on “My Accounts” along the top navigation bar, then select “Services” and the “View Tax History.” From there you can select e tax year for which you want to view detail.

Dog License

Q: Can I get a dog license through the Taxpayer Portal?

A: Dog licenses for a single dog tag license will be sold through the portal. Kennel licenses must be purchased in person in the Treasurer’s Office, Dinwiddie Animal Control Office, Chesdin Animal Hospital, Whippernock Marina, or at any county run rabies clinic.

Password Reset

Q: I click the link to reset my password and nothing happens. How do I reset my password?

A: The portal automatically removes accounts that are “inactive.” So if you set up an account but never confirmed or linked your portal account to your tax account, the portal will automatically get deleted. Many users that try to reset their password, in fact, have no account at all. If you get no response to the password reset, try to register again.

Business License

Q: How do I get a Dinwiddie County Business License?

A: Please email request to and a business license packet will be emailed to you or you may contact our office at 804-469-4500 opt 4.

Meals Tax

Q: What is Meals Tax and the filing date?

A: Meals tax is to be charged at the rate of 4% on all gross receipts of all prepared foods and/or drinks within the County limits of Dinwiddie, including food trucks. The filing deadline is the 20th of every month for the previous month's receipts.

Admissions Tax

Q: What is Admissions Tax and filing date?

A: Admissions tax is to be charged for attendance at an event in the amount of four percent of the amount of charge for admission to any event occurring within Dinwiddie County. The filing deadline is the 20th of every month for the previous month's receipts.

Transient Occupancy Tax

Q: What is Transient Occupancy Tax

A: Transient Occupancy tax is imposed upon every hotel, motel, boarding house, travel campground, and other facility offering guest rooms located within the county which is rented out for continuous occupancy for fewer than 30 consecutive days, a transient occupancy tax of eight percent of the total price paid by the customer for the use or possession of the room or space occupied in a retail sale. The filing deadline is the 20th of every month for the previous month's receipts.

Active Duty Military Tax Questions

Q: What are my tax obligations if I am an active-duty military person maintaining Dinwiddie County as my legal residence?

A: Under the Service Members Civil Relief Act, your tax liability would be to Dinwiddie regardless of where you may be stationed or where your personal property may be garaged during the year.

Q: What are my tax obligations if I am an active-duty military person or a non-military spouse maintaining a legal domicile in a state other than Virginia?

A: If your vehicle is titled solely to you, a military person residing in Dinwiddie County because of military orders, or jointly titled with a military spouse residing in Dinwiddie County because of military orders, it will qualify for exemption from local personal property taxation in Dinwiddie County under the Service members Civil Relief Act. As of November 11, 2009, vehicles titled solely in the name of a non-military spouse or jointly titled with a non-military spouse who is present in the state to be with the service member in compliance with the service member’s military orders will qualify for exemption from local personal property taxation in Dinwiddie County under the Service members Civil Relief Act. To request an exemption from personal property tax in Dinwiddie County, military personnel must send a copy of a recent leave and earnings statement (LES) or military orders. Documentation may be faxed to (804) 469-4548, emailed or mailed via the USPS to P.O. Box 104, Dinwiddie, VA 23841.

Q: What are my tax obligations if I am a member of the armed services of the United States and will be or have been deployed outside of the United States?

A: Virginia Code § 58.1-3916 provides for an automatic filing extension on personal property taxes for 90 days from the date an active military person is expected to return to the United States. A service member may avail himself or herself of this filing extension by notifying our office of deployment outside of the United States. Please submit the Notification of Military Deployment Outside of the United States form accompanied by a copy of your military orders.

Personal Property and Business Personal Property Filings

Q: What is the date business personal property, mobile homes, and airplanes must be filed?

A: Business Personal property, mobile homes and/or airpalnes must be filed by February 15 each year to the Commissioner of Revenue's Office. You may file these forms through this portal or by mailing or emailing to our office. If you have any questions, call (804) 469-4500, option 4.

State Income Tax

Q: Where do I mail Tax returns?

A: County of Dinwiddie residents may mail returns to our office: Commissioner of Revenue P.O. Box 104 Dinwiddie, VA 23841 Or directly to the Department of Taxation at the addresses listed below: Refund Returns: Virginia Department of Taxation P.O. Box 1498 Richmond, VA 23218-1498 Tax Due Returns: Virginia Department of Taxation P.O. Box 760 Richmond, VA 23218-0760

Q: How can I check on my Virginia State Tax Refund?

A: At the Virginia Department of Taxation website you may check the status of your refund at Online Services. You may use your touch-tone phone to call Tele-Tax at (804) 367-2486 for the automated refund tax service 24 hours a day, or you may call our office for assistance at (804) 469-4500, option 4.

Q: Do I need to file a Virginia State Income Tax Return?

A: You must file if you are: · Single and your VAGI (VA adjusted gross income) is $11,950 or more. · Married filing jointly and your combined VAGI is $23,900 or more. · Married filing separate and your VAGI is $11,950 or more. (If you are not required to file, but you had Virginia income tax withheld, you are entitled to a refund of the amount withheld. You must file a return to receive a refund.)

Q: Where do I get Virginia State Income Tax Forms?

A: You can get forms from the Commissioner of the Revenue office at 14010 Boydton Plank Road, VA. You may download forms from the Virginia Department of Taxation website

Q: Where do I mail Tax returns?

A: County of Dinwiddie residents may mail returns to our office: Commissioner of Revenue P.O. Box 104 Dinwiddie, VA 23841 Or directly to the Department of Taxation at the addresses listed below: Refund Returns: Virginia Department of Taxation P.O. Box 1498 Richmond, VA 23218-1498 Tax Due Returns: Virginia Department of Taxation P.O. Box 760 Richmond, VA 23218-0760

Veteran's Tax Exemption

Q: I am compensated by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at 100 percent. However, my actual disability rating as determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs is less than 100 percent.

A: Virginia Attorney General Kenneth Cuccinelli issued an opinion specifically on this point on July 15, 2011, clarifying that the tax exemption applies to veterans rated by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs with a total disability rating on the basis of individual unemployability due to a service-connected disability.

Q: I am a disabled veteran who has qualified for the real property exemption. I am selling my principal residence within Dinwiddie and purchasing a new home, which is also in Dinwiddie.

A: Do I need to reapply for the exemption or will the exemption automatically be granted on my new residence? If the property for which you received the real property exemption is sold, you will need to supply the Commissioner of the Revenue’s Office with a new request for real property exemption.

Q: My spouse was a veteran and determined to be 100 percent, service-connected, totally and permanently disabled by the U.S.Department of Veterans Affairs. My spouse passed away prior to January 1, 2011.

A: Will I qualify for the real estate exemption as the surviving spouse? The exemption is only extended to the veteran’s surviving spouse if the death of the veteran occurred on or after January 1, 2011, the real property is maintained as the surviving spouse’s principal residence, and he or she does not remarry.

Elderly and Disabled Tax Relief Program

Q: How do I apply for an Elderly Real Estate Exemption?

A: The Commissioner of the Revenue's Office administers programs offering full or partial exemption / tax relief for the elderly and disabled and personal property assessments. A form must be filed with the commissioner's office each year by April 1. For more information you may contact the Commissioner of the Revenue's office at 804-469-4500 opt 4.

Real Estate

Q: How do I obtain my real estate assessment for my property?

A: Click the link below and enter your name, address, or parcel number to retrieve your real estate information. Or call the Commissioner of the Revenue at (804) 469-4500, option 4 .